Monday, December 30, 2013

Fire Nail Art for The Desolation of Smaug


I went to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug a couple of days ago and I wanted some nail art to match the occasion.  Thankfully, I'd been drooling over Chalkboard Nails' phoenix-inspired manicure, so I thought I'd give it a shot!



I began by assembling my polish - I don't have a gold flake polish (...yet...) so I chose to use Nfu Oh 45, an orange flakie, as well as Rimmel Rapid Ruby, OPI In My Back Pocket and China Glaze Happy Go Lucky.  Finally, I used A England Camelot as my black base.  The brush I used is the medium-length striper from this brush set from Born Pretty store.



I started off with one coat of A England Camelot, then used small dabbing brush strokes to add my first coat of red and orange.  I painted two coats of yellow over the tips of my nail to make sure no black showed through (if I do this again, I'd probably paint half the nail yellow in the first place with no black underneath!).  I kept going over the design with the different colours of polish until I got the look I wanted.  It took about three goes with each colour, but I'm really happy with how it turned out!

I added some dots of Camelot for the floating ash and some Nfu Oh 45 flakies to give the look a touch of sparkle, then finished off with Cult Nails Wicked Fast.



I'm so glad that I persisted with this manicure (it looked pretty crappy at the start!) because I love how it looks!  I think it's a very organic-looking flame with lots of life and movement to it.  I do wish I could have gotten the more refined, delicate look like the Chalkboard Nails version, so I think I need to trim one of my stripers to get a thinner brush for next time!

I hope you enjoyed this post, and let me know what you thought of The Desolation of Smaug as well!  (I have many feelings.  Too many.  Help me.)

POST SUMMARY
Base & top coat:Base - Duri Rejuvacote
Top - Cult Nails Wicked Fast
Polish used:A England Camelot - one coat + dabbed
Rimmel Rapid Ruby - brush strokes
OPI In My Back Pocket - brush strokes
China Glaze Happy Go Lucky - two coats over nail tips + brush strokes
Nfu Oh 45 - brush strokes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Please feel free to comment with your thoughts or questions, we would love to hear from you.