Sunday, September 8, 2013

Chocolate Honeycomb Gradient with A England and YSL



One day I will do a gradient with colours that are close to each other in the spectrum.  But it is not this day.  This day (we fight) I'm showing you all a gold/bronze/brown gradient using A England Holy Grail (original), Yves Saint Laurent Bronze Aztec and a little bit of Orly Sugar.  It reminds me of chocolate coated honeycomb, so that's what I've dubbed it!



Unlike my first gradient attempt, when I painted the polish straight onto a sponge, I used the 'swirly method' (shown here at The Nailasaurus).  I painted Holy Grail and Bronze Aztec onto a piece of foil, swirled them together a bit with a dotting tool then sponged up the polish and sponged it onto my nails.  It took two rounds of sponging to get the gradient opaque enough for my liking.
I used a makeup sponge for the gradient, some tape around my nails to keep everything a bit tidier as well as an eyeshadow brush and acetone for clean up.  Thank goodness for pure acetone, that's all I can say!

Below is a photo of the gradient before Orly Sugar and top coat were added.



For a little extra sparkle, I painted a bit of Orly Sugar onto the dark part of the gradient.  I found that the honey-sparkle of Sugar helped to unify the gold and the brown a bit more, as well as give a bit more oomph to Bronze Aztec.  For top coat, I used Cult Nails Wicked Fast (no smearing or smudging whatsoever!)



I loved wearing this mani, and I'm glad I tried the swirly method out - it definitely makes for a smoother gradient and it wasn't as annoying as I thought it would be!

POST SUMMARY
Base & top coat:Base - Duri Rejuvacote
Top - Cult Nails Wicked Fast
Polish used:A England Holy Grail (original) - two coats
Yves Saint Laurent Bronze Aztec - sponged
Orly Sugar - one coat

2 comments:

Thank you for visiting! Please feel free to comment with your thoughts or questions, we would love to hear from you.