Monday, August 26, 2013

Glitter Gradient with OPI and Gloss 'n Sparkle



Hello all!  I managed to blast through two of my untried polishes with this mani - OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls and Gloss 'n Sparkle Merry Go Bye Bye.



I began with three coats of the OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls.  If you aren't familiar with it, it's a slightly blue-grey off-white creme that has received a lot of praise throughout the nail world.  I was quite excited to try it because I've always had trouble with my other white, Illamasqua Scorch.  I am pleased to report that I'm quite happy with how MBFSW applied - I did require three coats because the formula was a bit watery and a bit streaky on the first coat, but application was very easy with no flooding or dragging.  Perhaps, with a bit more experimentation, I can get it to work for me in two coats.


As for the colour, I liked that MBFSW wasn't a stark, harsh white and it's definitely much gentler on the eyes and more wearable.




Afterwards, I did a glitter gradient with Gloss 'n Sparkle Merry Go Bye Bye.  This polish consists of orange, blue, magenta, gold and transparent iridescent hexes in a clear base.  The iridescent hexes were very camera-shy but they do show in real life as a glint of aquamarine-purple as you tilt your fingers.  They were a very pleasant surprise as I couldn't see them in the bottle!


Doing the glitter gradient was a bit difficult since the glitter was quite sparse in the suspension base - I ended up lumping a whole pile near my cuticles then using the brush to manipulate them until everything was where I wanted it to be, but I love the end effect (even if it was very thick!)  On my thumbs I dabbled one coat of Merry Go Bye Bye over the whole nail and application was definitely easier like this.  The glitter does dry quite gritty so you will need two coats of top coat or a glitter tamer to make things more flat.


eta: If I did this again, I'd probably use Lab Muffin's cotton bud glitter gradient method to minimise the thickness of the polish.



Notes on wear time and removal: I wore this mani for about six days and I only experienced minor tipwear - no chipping whatsoever!  Removal was a lot of effort; you will need either the foil method or a peel-off base coat for Merry Go Bye Bye.

POST SUMMARY
Base & top coat:Base - Duri Rejuvacote
Top - Cult Nails Wicked Fast
Polish used:OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls - three coats
Gloss 'n Sparkle Merry Go Bye Bye - glitter gradient/one coat

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I was just thinking about how I could minimise the thickness of this combo and my mind jumped to your cotton bud method!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please feel free to comment with your thoughts or questions, we would love to hear from you.