Thursday, April 4, 2013

Fishtail Braided Manicure with Barry M, Sinful Colors and Illamasqua



I've wanted to try a fishtail braided manicure for ages, but I've never really plucked up the courage to do it.  I used this tutorial by Lucy of Lucy's Stash, Barry M Silver Foil Effects, Sinful Colors Why Not and Illamasqua Scorch.  I'm quite happy with how it turned out, other than the fact that my top coat smudged it quite badly (but it looks great from an arm's length away!)


I started with one coat of the Barry M, a gorgeous silver foil finish.  It's a bit brush-strokey, but that's only to be expected.  One coat is all that's needed for full opacity.


I only wanted to do one nail to try the braid because I'm a nail art noob, so I used my ring finger and started with a swipe of white, then blue, then silver (etc) with a lengthy amount of dry time in between.  Some of my white stripes ended up with blue smudges in them, which was a bit sad, but we live and learn.


I did the braid on the ring fingers of both hands.  The method overall isn't very difficult, just requires a lot of patience with drying time and a lot of cleanup as my swipes of polish left me with a lot of extra flooding onto my skin. I definitely recommend keeping your thumbnails polish free until the end so you can use them for cleanup as you go.

I let the design dry for over 15 minutes but when I put top coat on (China Glaze Fast Forward), it still smudged a lot, which was very unfortunate.  According to Rachel of TopCoatIt, top coats that don't smudge as much are Seche Vite, Poshe and Cult Nails Wicked Fast.


I'm still really happy with how my first attempt at nail art turned out, and I'm glad I tried the Barry M Silver Foil Effects because it's a glorious polish!

Notes on wear time and removal: After about half a day's wear, I noticed that the polish on my ring fingers (the ones with the nail art) had cracks going through it on the side of the nail.  Which was super weird, but the fault of my top coat..  I also had some bad shrinkage at the tips of those nails, which is something I haven't had happen to me before, though I expect it was because the polish was so thick on those nails and because I used a quick dry top coat.  By the second day, I also had a large chip on one of the silver nails.  I had no issues with removal.

POST SUMMARY
Base & top coat:Base - OPI Natural Nail Base Coat
Top - China Glaze Fast Forward
Polish used:Barry M Silver Foil Effects - one coat
Illamasqua Scorch - brush strokes
Sinful Colors Why Not - brush strokes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Please feel free to comment with your thoughts or questions, we would love to hear from you.