Monday, March 11, 2013

Cling Wrap Manicure with OPI and Ulta3


I tried my first cling wrap/Glad wrap/saran wrap manicure and I was surprised at how simple it was to create such a great look!

Here's a quick step-by-step to achieve this look.
1. Choose two polish colours (or three if you're feeling ambitious!) that will go well together.  Cut some cling wrap up into ten or more square-ish shapes (one for each finger).
2. Paint your nails with base coat and then with your base colour - it's best to use the lightest colour of the two.
3. When your base colour has dried, paint on a coat of your darker colour and immediately use a scrunched-up ball of cling wrap to dab at the polish until you get a marbled effect.
4. Finish with top coat.
(Here's a helpful video tutorial by chicachew on Youtube as well)



I started off with base coat and three coats of OPI Did It On 'Em from the Nicki Minaj collection.  It's a bright yellow-green (I'd describe it as lime green or chartreuse).  This polish was a bit streaky but easy enough to apply, and if I was wearing it on its own I'd probably go with four coats or three thick coats.  I quite like the bright lime green colour, though!

After the base colour had dried, I painted on a coat of Ulta3 Tahitian Lime on one nail and quickly dabbed at the polish with some cling wrap until I'd removed some of the green colour to reveal the lime green underneath.  After one dab of the cling wrap, turn the ball over in your hands so you use a new bit and don't smear any polish onto your skin.  I would recommend not pressing too hard with the cling wrap, because I did end up pressing into my base colour on a few nails.



I repeated this with the rest of my nails then finished off with top coat, which smoothed out the bumps from the design and gave it a beautiful shine.  One of the great things about this technique is that there's no mess beside your nails and on your cuticles to clean up!  I'm looking forward to using this technique and exploring other colour combinations.



Notes on wear time and removal: I wore this mani for three days and, despite being a little iffy about the colour (and really messing up my thumbs while the polish was wet...) I didn't really want to take it off!  There was no chipping and very minimal tipwear in the form of the green polish moving back to show a little more of Did It On 'Em at the tips - not really noticeable at all.  Removal was easy-peasy.

POST SUMMARY
Base & top coat:Base - OPI Natural Nail Base Coat
Top - OPI Top Coat + OPI Drip Dry
Polish used:OPI Did It On 'Em - three coats
Ulta3 Tahitian Lime - one coat (cling wrapped)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Please feel free to comment with your thoughts or questions, we would love to hear from you.